Empowered customers are disrupting every industry; competitive barriers like manufacturing strength, distribution power, and information mastery can’t save you. In this age of the customer, the only sustainable competitive advantage is knowledge of and engagement with customers.
The successful companies will be customer-obsessed, like IBM and Amazon.com. Executives in customer-obsessed companies must pull budget dollars from areas that traditionally created dominance…
- brand advertising
- distribution lockup
- mergers for scale, and
- supplier relationships
…and invest in four priority areas:
- real-time customer intelligence
- customer experience and customer service
- sales channels that deliver customer intelligence, and
- useful content and interactive marketing.
Those that master the customer data flow and improve frontline customer staff will have the edge.
From The QoE, January 2013, ‘Competitive Strategy in the Age of the Customer’
What do all successful customer-focused organisations possess?
You can feel it so its tangible.
What do you measure? Positive energy.
Deﬁnition: a person’s spirit and vigour
Synonyms: activity, animation, application, ardour, birr, dash, drive, eﬀectiveness, eﬃcacy, endurance, enterprise, exertion, ﬁre, force, forcefulness, fortitude, get up and go, hardihood, ini9a9ve, intensity, juice, life, liveliness, might, moxie, muscle, cooperativeness, pep, pluck, potency, power, punch, spirit, spontaneity, stamina, steam, strength, toughness, tuck, vehemence, verve, vim, virility, vitality, vivacity, zeal, zest, zing, zip
Antonyms: idleness, inactivity, laziness, lethargy, tiredness
- Energy can be a positive or a negative force
- Its direction is influenced by other people, process and technology
- Positive energy is the essential element of every successful organisation
Energy generators in people:
- Personal belief ‐ alignment to values, purpose and behaviours
- Personal development – knowledge, understanding and cultural
- Empowerment -‐ the ability to act on your own thoughts and decisions
- Ability to inﬂuence – trusted adviser, seeing ac9ons that result form your input
- Autonomy – self-activation, successfully rising to challenges
- Pride – reﬂective satisfation perpetuates conﬁdence and ability
- Belonging to groups or communities -‐ sharing experience, knowledge and love
- Being part of something that is recognised as good quality, creative and valued
- Inspirational and relevant leadership
- Behaviours of those around you
Source of energy can be split into three:
- Projected from people around you
- Projected by the organisation
Can we identify energy…
- Drainers (Sinks)
- Wasted energy
- Base line for sustainability
- Time-sensitive peaks and troughs
- Net energy score
- Economic value of energy
Net energy score: How much an individual / group / organisation stimulates, minus how much they drain from others
Positive energy = profit
From The QoE, March 2012, ‘Employee Experience Proof of Concept Project’